Contractual
Definition"A contractual brief is when a contract exists between a client and a production company; the production company is usually employed by the client and will discuss the contract with the client before agreeing to the terms. In a contractual brief there are strict guidelines and parameters set by the client that the production company are required to follow, failure to do so can result in a breach of the contract agreed which consequently can lead to legal charges."https://camerongregorymedia.wordpress.com/my-college-work/working-to-a-brief/structure-of-briefs/contractual-brief/
Definition in my Own Words
This type of a project brief takes a long time to set and the client describes in detail everything that has to be done and what boundaries of the project are. Both sides are affected by the contract. Since everything appears rather strict, the company that makes the product may not enjoy the development process and sometimes the final outcome may be of lesser quality.
Hypothetical Project
For this kind of brief I would probably be a part of a team and make a video game. I probably wouldn't be allowed to affect all the aspects of the creation, but rather focus on my scope of responsibilities: possibly the graphics (with the stricter briefs requiring several people everyone does what he/she is best at).
I would have to understand fully what client wishes to be done by the end date. If I would be uncertain I'd have to look at the project briefs that were given. I think in the contractual brief would appear in a written form, possibly made out of detailed bullet points. While doing my part I would also talk with the team to make sure where they are up to and when I need to send them the graphics that have already been created. If apart of me there would be few other artists, I would talk with them in order to match the styles and palettes and make sure we do separate things.
Time management
As an artist I wouldn't need to stay at the office most of the time. But I probably would spend half/half time there and at home since at home alone it's harder to stay motivated. I would get to know the timescale and decide how many hours I will have to spend each day working. I would also map out by when I should finish the research or resource gathering (eg. photos) before starting the actual art.
Technical skills
Imagination or at least good eye and ability to create something new out of several references is required. And obviously good artistic skills as well as the use of a graphic tablet and programmes such as Paint Tool Sai or Photoshop or any software that is preferred (or even the ability to paint on a 3D sculpture if needed), since most of the games' artworks are created digitally. Also good time management and not being too overambitious, since this brief is very strict.
Career progression (client's point of view)
I would try to work on time without extensions and try to cover everything in the contract, eg. textures or concept art or animations, to good quality standard. If that would be satisfying I'd hope I would be hired again, since the reputation is quite important when completing any kind of project (ordered by the client).
Commission
Definition"This brief is where a large media company will employ an other independent media company to create and produce the product for them, and after the product has been made the larger company may go on to be use the product for an external client who will pay the independent media company for making the product and they could even get a cut of the royalties too. The brief is not negotiated between the company and the client, however is negotiated between the two media companies."http://creativemediaatjt.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/commission-brief.html
Definition in my Own Words
By hiring a smaller company (or individuals), the company saves time and sometimes even the costs with making some parts of a game, especially when in current times the games have to be made in a very short time period. The client doesn't choose it, but the large company asks the smaller for the product. Client has to pay for the effort, but that sometimes costs less.
Hypothetical Project
For this brief I would be most likely to create concept art, probably the concept art for some characters, creatures or objects. Freelance artists usually do that and then publish it on websites. I would rather work alone on this kind of project.
Communication
When commissioned I would email (or communicate via other internet/phone method, since I doubt they will need me to come to their office or come to me) the other company in order to make sure I know what I need to do. I would ask them for artwork examples already created by other artists in that company, so I'll find it easier to match the feel and style of my concept art.
Time management
For this project I wouldn't need any strict planning of my time. I would need to know by when they expect me to create the concept art (unless they'd pay me for using one of the ones I have already created like other freelance artists do). Then I would plan what time of a day I would find it the most comfortable to work on the project.
Technical skills
Drawing skills and working independently. For a concept art I could either work traditionally (with the professional artist equipment) and be able to use a scanner and Photoshop for better quality or be able to use a graphics tablet and a painting software free (eg. Krita) or paid for (Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai).
Career progression (client's point of view)
As a freelance artist I would try to publish many of my artworks regularly and try my best to impress the people commissioning me. The reason for that is that freelance artists don't work for a certain company but are requested to do artwork so the more the companies will know me and my skills, the more likely I will be to be 'hired' again.
Negotiated
Definition"A Negotiated brief is where the media company may possibly have a disagreement or a possible issue with the assignment/brief that they have been given and then negotiate with the client on how they can work their way around it while still sticking to the guidelines of the brief. "https://prezi.com/s6w7vczkbbh6/negotiated-brief/
Definition in my Own Words
Whenever there is a problem/issue with a project, for example it's too hard to make one part of it (maybe some kind of hard animation or difficult piece of coding) then the company discusses the problem with the client and tries to find another way of doing it or finds another option as replacement (and keeping it fairly similar).
Hypothetical Project
I imagine that for this brief I would be asked to create a multi-player game with many elements that are common in multi-player games. Since it's negotiated brief, I'd probably find one of the features (e.g. transfer between servers) that have to be included quite difficult to code.
Communication
When finding an issue and after failing few times trying to solve it, I would send a message to the client thoroughly explaining what's the problem, what I have tried and why it may not work. Then I would discuss with them other possible solutions or other idea that can be used instead.
Time management
I would probably have a schedule set for every aspect that has to be done and by what time. When encountering an issue I would still monitor the time it takes to solve it, and if too long then after finding a way around it, I would check the schedule and try to fit the new task in.
Technical skills
I think that for negotiated brief the main technical skill is problem solving and quick thinking for it. That'll cause less time loss necessary to the project. And since the hypothetical project is about coding, then I'd need to know the programming language required to use a certain engine (whether Unreal 4, Game Maker, Flash, etc.).
Career progression
I would try hard to have the least issues/ changes with the negotiated brief, and if there would be any, then I would try finding a good replacement. That would let me to still have a chance being hired, because I doubt a company would want a person that they think can't do anything right.
Tender
Definition"This is where a client will advertise their brief and a production company will bring together a proposal that they will pitch to the client, there could be multiple pitches to the client from many different companies, so the client will then get the chance to choose the proposal that they think best suits their brief and offer the job to that production company."http://creativemediaatjt.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/tender-brief.html
Definition in my Own Words
This brief isn't given to one particular company, at least not when it's announced. Companies then try their best to create a pitch with their idea fitting to the brief. Client looks at all of the proposals and picks the one they like the most. The company that the pitch belongs to makes the product.
Hypothetical Project
I think that the project would be most likely in form of a detailed concept. So every aspect of the game (including character art, type of game, features, colours, sound samples and level design) would be presented as a presentation or some kind of a portfolio, with remembering it should fit to the brief.
Communication
When seeing the advertisement of the brief and knowing I am interested, I would contact with the client and tell them that I want to be one of people showing the idea. After preparing the pitch I would visit the client (if they said so) and present them my idea making sure my voice tone is interesting, enthusiastic and determined (monotonous voice tone would cause a failure even if the project would be good).
Time management
I would check what is the final deadline for everyone creating and sharing the pitch and mark that date in a calendar/reminder. Then I would dedicate a time each day, but the time would depend on how little or how much time I got to prepare the pitch.
Technical skills
Good presentation and speaking skills are important. Since the pitch would probably cover all the aspects, then games design skills are needed as well: game designers need to quickly come up with the idea for the project and have a general knowledge of every aspect of a game (concept art, simple programming skills, level design, choosing right game mechanics for each genre, etc.).
Career progression
I would hope the presentation I done was interesting enough. For this kind of project I wouldn't want to miss the deadline, because that would simply cross me out and I wouldn't be considered even if my idea was good.
Formal
Definition"A formal brief is where a production company is given a brief by the client that details the product they want produced, the content of the brief is agreed between the two parties beforehand and details only what is wanted within the production and nothing else. A formal brief often doesn’t cover legal issues within the brief and therefore can be risky for the client if the production company were to not conform to legal guidelines."https://camerongregorymedia.wordpress.com/my-college-work/working-to-a-brief/structure-of-briefs/formal-brief/
Definition in my Own Words
The formal brief states upfront exactly what is wanted to be included in the production process, in the smallest details. Because it only contains the details of the content it doesn't cover any legal issues to what can happen if the company won't stick to it.
Hypothetical Project
I think a good hypothetical project for this would be with me being a website designer. The company would come to me giving me exactly how they want their website to look like with contents and other relevant things.
Communication
Since everything is already included in the brief, I wouldn't really need to contact them much apart of notifying about the progress on the regular (daily/weekly) basis. I would only email them if I would see a conflict or if their intentions wouldn't work out as good, but for most of time I would stick to the brief.
Time management
I would look at the schedule that definitely would be included in some form in the brief and follow it closely but also do them in the way that I as the web designer would see better or easier. So if I'd have exactly a week for everything I would evaluate how much time the entire project would take me and then spread it through all days.
Technical skills
Knowledge of HTML or other coding language used while making websites. I wouldn't need anything else but knowing the language, since the client would give me any relevant pictures and the basic look can be coded.
Career progression
Once the project would be completed successfully then I could use it as one of the pieces of my portfolio for other clients to see up to what standards my work is.
Co-operative
Definition
Co-operative
"Within this type of brief there are usually two or more companies that are hired by the client to work to the brief they have written for the specific project they re wanting to be completed. After both companies have received the brief they can then proceed to work together to produce the product. If there is a disagreement or conflict in ideas there can be a negotiated brief in order to resolve these issues."http://creativemediaatjt.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/co-operative-brief.html
Definition in my Own Words
A cooperative brief is the one that its sent to more than one companies. These companies then work together, or cooperate, in order to complete the project given by the client. This can increase the efficiency as well as speed up the time, but may lead to many disagreements. When such happens a negotiated brief is created as well.
Hypothetical Project
In my opinion the best example would be to mention the film industry, especially the visual and special effects sector. On these films multiple companies (small and big) work together and every one of them focuses on one feature (e.g., post production, virtual robots/monsters, background, etc.) that are then joined together.
Communication
Since I probably will work in a company (for this project), the best way to communicate will be to email the work (either finished of in progress) to the other company/sector and tell in detail what I have done. I don't think I will need to write much more, since both companies would know the standards of image making, style and methods of creating it, all said in the brief.
Time management
Depending on my responsibilities (such as one special effect or a whole mass of 3D models) the time would be spread differently. In such huge industries individual people have small roles to do, a tiny fraction they finalise, so I would only need to meet deadlines, but not having to push myself.
Technical skills
Using visual after effects softwares, so many Adobe programmes as well as some modelling software such as 3Ds Max. Also a good knowledge of physics and how materials react to different things as well as problem solving and good communication skills.
Career progression
By starting off with doing small bits and doing them well, I could then be given to do more work and more advanced or even become a lead artist/designer or anything.
Informal
Definition
Informal
"An informal brief is one that is agreed entirely through informal discussions between client and production company, therefore there is no written evidence of a brief being agreed at all. As a result of this, an informal brief is based purely on trust between the two parties to uphold their end of the agreement."https://camerongregorymedia.wordpress.com/my-college-work/working-to-a-brief/structure-of-briefs/informal-brief/
Definition in my Own Words
Informal brief doesn't have a written contract that would secure both client and the company. It is a mouth-to-mouth contract that is based on mutual trust, so usually it's being agreed between people that know each other well or are friends.
Hypothetical Project
I think the good example of a brief would be the one where I'd be the artist and my friend programmer would ask me for help with creating graphics. We are not together in team or indie dev studio, but rather we know each other and help but also pay the other if it's not the idea thought out together or agree that the certain percentage of money from sales will be given.
Communication
At first I will listen to what they have to say about the game; what it is about, the concept for the characters, settings, etc. I will then start making brief sketches and present them in order to know if they are exactly what they had in mind. I would also propose some improvements and when it's okay I then would start making final graphics.
Time management
I doubt there would be any set time restrictions to this project, but I would try to match the speed of my work to the speed of programming - if possible. I would prioritise the more important things like main character animations, projectiles, enemies and loot, and do other things afterwards.
Technical skills
Use of programmes such as Photoshop or Paint Tool Sai would be handful, as well as any other painting or animation programme out there. If it would be a 3D game then also the use of modelling software, for example 3Ds Max.
Career progression
Depending on the popularity of the game once released (or with open Alpha/Beta) I would get noticed by other companies sooner or later. I could even join a small studio where they need people to do a lot of graphics for games.
Competition
Definition"This is where a client can put their brief out so it can be accessed by all of the different production companies that are participating. It can sometimes been seen as a free competition as each production company will complete the brief and the client can then judge which company has the best project and as an award they have it published."http://creativemediaatjt.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/competition-brief.html
Definition in my Own Words
A competition brief is where the brief to a project is revealed to the public, possibly on some website (easier access for everyone) and all different individuals as well as companies can choose whether or not to participate in it. It's usually the least rewarding brief and seen in game jams or somewhere.
Hypothetical Project
I think that the good example for this brief would be if I was looking for a challenge (making a game). Then I would look at the website which is a community all about game jams, each month releasing a new brief for people to participate in. I would read the brief and if would be interesting I would participate as one of possibly hundreds of people.
Communication
I doubt there would be any means of communication apart of me posting the final outcome before the time runs out. That's because competition briefs are usually very brief and you can interpret them differently. Another thing is that the client wouldn't have time to answer to every participant.
Time management
Usually in those game jams the time restrictions are incredibly short (couple of days) so I imagine I would sacrifice all days just to do the project with small breaks for meals and toilet. Within that time I then would divide it by the quick prototype build, making it work and then adding more content if time allows.
Technical skills
The most needed skill for this project would be a knowledge of any coding language, let it be GML, C++, Javascript or others. Another one would be the basic skill for making the game art in programmes like Gimp, Paint Tool Sai or others (even paint).
Career progression
Participating in the production of this brief would mostly benefit me if I would be one of the 'winners' of the competition. Then I could put this in my portfolio, but I could do that even without winning if the outcome would be good enough.
Examples of Creative Product Briefs
1. Ludum Dare
Official Website: http://ludumdare.com/compo/
All the information in the screenshots can be found on this website.
2. Freelancer.com
Official Website: https://www.freelancer.co.uk/
Some information can be seen on the start page while most is seen once registered and logged in.
3. Guru.com
Official Website: http://www.guru.com/
All information can be found on this website and logging in isn't necessary to view it.
---
Who is the client?What media product(s) does the client require?
What is the timescale to deliver the product(s) to the client?
Who is the intended target audience the client wishes the product(s) to appeal to?
What are the legal and ethical issues relating to the production?
What constraints do you have to work within (budget, length of product, format)?