Task 3 - FMP Pitch

Media Format (film, documentary, motion graphics, photography, animation, graphic design etc)

I am going to create an entire game using Game Maker. The game is going to be a platformer with fights and RPG elements and with retro pixel art graphics.
Synopsis of Idea (content, narrative, genre)





The game is called Unicorn Slayer (may think of some additional word to differentiate it from the previous game). I began this game in the previous 2D game Unit as well as Sound Design unit, but this time it is going to be expanded in both terms of story and game mechanics.

The game is mostly going to play as a platformer, but the battle system will be a little like 2D combat games and the story and interaction will be similar to RPG games.

The story begins with Mixxy alone in the forest after the turn of events that hopefully will be shown in some sort of comic-cutscene (the same first events as described in the Sound Design unit). Then the player will follow a small tutorial on how to navigate through a game (since little people look in the help bar).

The player will start with no or one type of magic and later on be able to shuffle through all 4 types (one neutral and 3 rock-paper-scissors like). Majority of the enemies, and all first enemies are going to be unicorns, since in a story they are the first converted into evil.

Later on in a game there will be more enemies added alongside their innocent equvalents (eg. Cockatrice and chicken) and if time will allow I may also convert the potoo companion evil.

The game is going to be single player but with ability to change the characters in order to get to some places (the bird is only going to assist in such puzzles and not fight).

I also want to make at least one village where the player can know what’s happening and purchase items and maybe fulfil some quests or recover. With this I will try to apply textboxes with characters speeches.

I want to implement at least the first boss out of 4 that I already thought of. The last thing I’ll try to add is a change of day/night as well as the background change to signify that the world becomes more and more evil.

Target Audience? (demographic NOT age range)
I believe the game may appeal to both males and females who enjoy playing retro style games and follow a story with surprises.
They are going to be teenagers or young adults.
The nationalities will be probably any English-speaking people as well as Polish.
The groups that it may appeal to are probably fantasy lovers (but of that cliché fantasy stories) and those who like playing as a cute protagonist.

How will your project meet the needs of your target audience?




For it to appeal to females as well as males I am going to make a female playable character and the overall concept of the world only settled by witches and fairies, but it won’t be as it seems. I am going to make all cute creatures eventually turn evil. The main character is going to fight with those creatures.

It will appeal to English-speaking people because the main language will be English but if time and skills will allow I may implement the change language option and add the story in Polish so this way it will appeal to them as well.

The basic story idea and the creatures that appear are going to be cliché and that probably appeals to people as well.

What production techniques will you use to realise your project?





Pre-production: I will research into enemy appearances as well as try to figure out which button commands to use. I already took photo references for buildings and trees. I will try to create a better colour palette and sketch out some level design as well as plan out some attack patterns, mechanics and what player can engage with in the village as well as some other locations. I will also look for sound plugins.

Production: I will start off with making a base platformer using Game Maker engine first with crude mechanics and adding more elements once I’m happy. When I will have enough coding I will continue on making graphics using Piskelapp, Pyxel Edit and Graphics Gale. I will also try making soundtrack on a software I will find good to use.

Post-production: Polishing the coding, polishing and implementing the artwork, adding particle effects and adding soundtrack. Making the game look finished with a hint that I will continue on it after the unit ends.


Presentation Slides:











Cue Cards




Mood Board (my artwork only)